A simple frontend for wvdial
Even if it looks like a GTK application in this screen shot, QtWvDialer was developed
with Qt from Trolltech AS. I've chosen the GTK theme because it makes my desktop more homogenous when mixing GNOME
and KDE applications. Wvdial was written by Dave Coombs and Avery Pennarun for Worldvisions Computer Technology,
as part of the Worldvisions Weaver project.
QtWvdialer is a simple graphical front-end to wvdial and it's free software. You need the Qt library
version 2.1.0 or better and wvdial. It provides you with a easy to use GUI to fire up a ppp connection. Additionally
you have access to the output of wvdial, some PPP statistics and a editor for the wvdial configuration. The code for
PPP statistics retrieval was extracted from the very fine program kpppload from Sean Vyain. Thanks Sean,
for this nice piece of GPL'ed code!
A german review of an early version of QtWvDialer can be found at http://www.linux-user.de/ausgabe/2001/08/068-ktools/K-tools-32-3.html
An english version of this text can be found at https://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/13
QtWvDialer has been tested on Linux so far, but it should be compileable on other flavours of UNIX provided the following
prerequisites are met:
- Qt-3.x from Trolltech-AS (development package) http://www.trolltech.com
- wvdial and wvdialconf from Dave Coombs and Avery Pennarun
- gcc http://gcc.gnu.org
Versions of QtWvDialer before 0.4 have the following prerequisites:
- Qt library >= 2.1.0
- tmake (I think version >= 1.5 , but I'm not shure)
- Additionally you may have Qt-Designer installed. If not the configure script should figure this out (checks for the presence of uic). You may use the --no-uic option for the configure script to disable uic support.
- wvdial and wvdialconf
If you are running Linux and have the NVIDIA OpenGL driver installed and Qt was compiled with OpenGL support
you may encounter some problems. At my machine I had to link the program against libpthread to avoid a runtime
linker error. If this configuration is true for you use the --nvidia option for the configure script.
QtWvDialer before 0.4 does not compile with Qt-3.x. You need Qt-2.x to be able to compile it.
QtWvDialer version 0.4 and above does not compile with Qt versions below 3.
The following versions are available for download:
Please don't forget to read, understand and agree
to QtWvDialer's license before using it.
You might have to shift click the link.
QtWvDialer comes in a source-only distribution. Compilation is simple.
- Untar the tarball
- Enter the directory QtWvDialer
- call ./configure
- call make and wait a few minutes
Now you'll find the executable qtwvdialer in the QtWvDialer/bin directory. Put it into your $PATH and
you are done.
Versions of QtWvDialer before 0.4 might be installed as follows:
Make shure QTDIR is set correctly and tmake, moc and eventually uic are installed.
- untar the tarball you've downloaded
- enter the qtwvdialer directory
- type ./configure [--nvidia|--help|--no-uic]
- type make and wait a few moments
That's it. You should have the executable qtwvdialer now.
If you encounter any problems don't hesitate to contact me firstname.lastname@example.org
The build process has been tested until now only with Linux and Qt 2.2.0. It would be nice to hear
if QtWvDialer compiles and works with different system configurations.
A Gentoo package might be found here http://gentoo-portage.com/browse-program-rdep.php?program=3271
To run QtWvDialer as normal user you could chmod +s /usr/loca/bin/wvdial
and chmod +xs /usr/sbin/pppd (Your path may differ. A which pppd and which wvdial as root should
show you the path used on your system)
- Version 0.4.4
- Fixed configure script
- Version 0.4.2
- Cleaned interface
- Graph now reflects connection state
- Removed copyright window (moved to config dialog)
- Version 0.4.1
- Improved logfile viewer
- Version 0.4
- Now compiles with Qt-3.x and above
- Some chrome
- Version 0.3.1
- Fixed bug in configure script
- Fixed silly omission in *.pro files (Thanks Henry)
- Version 0.3
- Added monthly logfile
- Version 0.2
- Added remote IP label
- Added "uptime" label
- A bit more compact mainwindow layout
- Better handling of wvdial's default parameter (tristate checkboxes for flags in expert dialog and default value for baud)
- Some minor internal cleanup
- Consistency check for new account name
- Added some config options for GUI
- Removed Language combo (makes no sense -> will use $LANG)
- Removed Style combo (makes no sense -> use -style argument)
- Added configure script
- Version 0.1
- Initial release
QtWvDialer is licensed under the terms of the GNU GPL.
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms
of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License,
or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for more details.
|is copyright by Matthias Toussaint
|is copyright by Trolltech AS Norway
|is copyright by Free Software Foundation, Inc.
|is copyright by Dave Coombs and Avery Pennarun.